It’s hard to overstate the importance of a doormat. While it may not be as flashy and fun as other home products, it’s just as essential. Think about it this way: A doormat is what stands between debris and the inside of your home. It’s the best way to protect your floors from the dirt and moisture that accumulates on people’s shoes. But more than that, a doormat provides an aesthetic statement and offers your guests a warm greeting, hence why it’s also sometimes referred to as a welcome mat.
Next time you’re shopping for a doormat or a welcome mat, here are the essential qualities you’ll want to identify to make sure you’re buying the best product for the job:
- Surface material. The primary function of a doormat is to scrape debris and absorb moisture from shoes, and this typically requires a textured surface material that’s tough, abrasive and durable.
- Non-slip backing. It’s important to select a doormat that won’t be a safety hazard for visitors. Look for a doormat with non-slip rubber backing so that there’s little risk of it slipping and sliding when people step on it and wipe their feet.
- Size and thickness. If your doormat is too small, there’s a chance that visitors will walk right over it, so you need something that takes up most of the width of your door and is large enough for people to comfortably fit both feet. Thickness can also be important if your doormat is positioned in such a way that your door passes over it. In that case, it needs to be thin enough that your door won’t get caught on it.
- Weather resistance. If you’re placing your doormat in an outdoor area, it must be able to withstand rain, snow, mud and other seasonal weather conditions.
- Easy care instructions. The more dirt and debris your doormat traps over time, the less effective it will be, so frequent cleaning is key. For this reason, you’ll want to pick a doormat that’s easy to clean. With most standard doormats, you can simply shake them out, vacuum them or hose them down.
Ready to shop welcome mats for your home? Check out Home Fashion Designs’ collection of discount doormats.